The Old School Museum is pleased to announce that an historic marker will soon be installed on our grounds. In early 2014, the Bleecker Historical Society applied for a grant from the William G. Pomeroy Historic Roadside Marker Grant Program to fund a sign for the District No. 3 Schoolhouse. We were thrilled to learn that their application was successful, and the old schoolhouse has earned deserved recognition for its historic significance to the Town of Bleecker and Fulton County.
The William G. Pomeroy Foundation is a private foundation founded in 2006 by Bill Pomeroy. The Foundation's two main initiatives are to help diversify the Be the Match Registry by supporting bone marrow drives in diverse communities, and to help preserve history by providing grants for historic signage in New York State. The Historic Roadside Marker Program commemorates historic people, places or things within the timeframe of 1740-1914. To date, the Foundation has funded over 160 historic markers in 35 counties across New York State, and the marker for the District No. 3 School is the first to appear in Fulton County.
Please stay tuned for an announcement about our dedication ceremony!